From XAML to Xamarin

Recently I started exploring Xamarin Cross-platform framework (Xamarin.Forms) to develop apps for Android, iOS and UWP.

There are couple of frameworks for doing cross-platform mobile app development, however,  as I am dominantly a C#/WPF developer, I chose Xamarin.Forms. This decision turned out to be the best decision, mainly because I had vast experience using Xaml and C# and saved 80% of my learning time.

It was a great experience with Visual Studio integration of Xamarin and It took only 4-5 days to get acquainted with Xamarin.

I will soon be uploading my app on Play stores, but first let me share the Pros and Cons I found:

Advantages:

  • Xamarin & .NET are very well architectures. C# is a fantastic language.
  • Being able to use C# to develop on not just one, but 3 platforms.
  • Since 2017, its completely Free.
  • Xamarin allows to take my knowledge of C# and apply this to the iPhone and then Android. Can use existing c#/.net knowledge in iOS and Android.
  • It allows you to use almost 100% native libraries of both Android & iOS.
  • It’s easier for developers to move from one project to another. You won’t be stuck with Android developers not being able to do anything while the iOS developers are too busy.
  • No context switching between languages. We can go from iPhone to android to the web using one language.
  • Plug in components that make adding SDKs for commonly used services like Dropbox, Azure, AWS, Auth0 etc. a breeze.
  • Cross platform support for phone functionality like camera, Geo-location etc. with Xamarin Mobile.

Disadvantages:

  • It is not an open source application, so community help is not as good as native Android.
  • Performance is a bit slower than native android OR iOS (since Xamarin is still evolving), but difference is only within few milliseconds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How UI Layout Works

Binding Previous Item's data in ItemsControl